Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My Viking Saga begins

These arrived last week and just in time too. I'm dying to paint something and with my current slide towards historical it couldn't have come at a better time :). This plus I'm currently enjoying watching the Viking tv series.
Saga is skirmish game set in dark age England. Done by Studio Tomahawk and published by Gripping Beast. The first thing that struck me when I started reading the book was the writing style. Witty, lively, humorous at times...I love it!! Here's an example from the page 8 The Basics. "Levies or peasants: Give them a sling, a bow or even some stones and you might be surprised. Might". And this candor is repeated many times throughout the book. Again, I really enjoyed reading it to the end.

The book is lavishly illustrated with many nicely painted models for painting inspiration. I've not played the game but the system is interesting and unlike others I've tried before. I'll write a proper review when I've a few games under my belt to be fair.
In the meantime I also got myself a box of the Gripping Beast Viking Hirdmen box set. You get 4 big sprues to make 40 viking warriors and 2 sprues to build 2 warlord and 2 blowing horn guy (whatever you call these guys haha). So 44 models in all. A very good deal considering it's only retailing for GPB20. 

Valhalla awaits!!

Sunday, August 4, 2013

HMS Temeraire

I present to you...HMS Temeraire in all her glory. May she sail safely and sink many enemy ships :)
And how would I recognize the beautiful Temeraire when she's on the table with all the other ships?? 
Why with a nice custom acrylic base of course :)
This has been a very nice change in subject for me. I really enjoyed building the Langton ship and rigging her up. And then yesterday my hensem brother got me this...
Going to be a good week ahead of reading after completing the Temeraire.
Thanks bro :). And thank you all for dropping by.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

HMS Temeraire WIP continued

Managed to get some more work done on the Temeraire. Didn't do much weathering on the sails as it's my first build and didn't want to screw it up.
Most of the time spent since was on getting the rigging done. It's not as complicated as I thought it would be but neither was it an easy process. But I enjoyed getting the rigging all done up.
What is needed most during this process is a bucket-load of patience. The fishing thread that I got was supposed to be single thread but experience has shown me that it's not. If you look carefully at my rigging you'll be able to spot some split threads. Also liquid super glue and accelerator is really helpful. Even then you need to make sure to give it sufficient time to dry. After a few disasters and re-rigging, I decided to be on the safe side and allowed every spot to truly dry before carefully cutting the excess thread.
She should be ready for the high seas by this weekend :)

Thanks for tuning in :)