Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My Viking Saga begins

These arrived last week and just in time too. I'm dying to paint something and with my current slide towards historical it couldn't have come at a better time :). This plus I'm currently enjoying watching the Viking tv series.
Saga is skirmish game set in dark age England. Done by Studio Tomahawk and published by Gripping Beast. The first thing that struck me when I started reading the book was the writing style. Witty, lively, humorous at times...I love it!! Here's an example from the page 8 The Basics. "Levies or peasants: Give them a sling, a bow or even some stones and you might be surprised. Might". And this candor is repeated many times throughout the book. Again, I really enjoyed reading it to the end.


The book is lavishly illustrated with many nicely painted models for painting inspiration. I've not played the game but the system is interesting and unlike others I've tried before. I'll write a proper review when I've a few games under my belt to be fair.
In the meantime I also got myself a box of the Gripping Beast Viking Hirdmen box set. You get 4 big sprues to make 40 viking warriors and 2 sprues to build 2 warlord and 2 blowing horn guy (whatever you call these guys haha). So 44 models in all. A very good deal considering it's only retailing for GPB20. 

Valhalla awaits!!

5 comments:

  1. All you need now is Thor and Loki. ;) In all seriousness, looking forward to seeing them painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saga is a great game. You won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the battle board being a fun action management concept.

      Delete
  3. V curious. Maybe we can have a test game or two at Legio soon

    ReplyDelete