Friday, October 4, 2013

Japanese rural building

I was researching the net for more samurai models to get when I stumbled upon this site.
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t1828-my-alternative-japanese-mordheim
I never planned to make terrain/buildings for playing Ronin but the steps taken by Lilljonas to build his buildings seems doable enough so I gave it go. And here's my journey to making my first ever building for this hobby that I enjoy so much. Which really is a feat because all my friends know I'm just a lazy bestard when it comes to terrain.
Step 1. Keep it simple and follow the instructions. As much as possible I followed how Lilljonas did his building with some very minor tweaks in terms of materials and the roof. For the walls I used foam board glued to a placticard base. In hindsight I should've used a stronger material for the base as it warped when the glue dried up.
Step 2. Glue all wooden structures and such.


I used ice-cream stick and pre-cut balsa strips for the lower walls and windows. Then I completed the base by gluing rubble and sand.
Step 3. The roof.
This was made using some cardboard I had lying around. I didn't follow the cut straw style as I know this would be time consuming and opted for the old wash towel technique.
Not too bad if I do say so myself :)
Step 4. Painting and drybrushing and some weathering.

I used Army Painter Warpaints and Washes primarily for this project. Also their tuft.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I truly enjoyed making this house/building. More to come as I'm planning on making a full town to play Ronin :)

If you guys want to see some hardcore master terrain building skills check out monsier Scott's blog.
http://scottswargaming.blogspot.com/2013/09/victorian-terrace-completed.html
This Victorian Terrace building he built puts my rundown house to shame hahaha.

Cheers everyone. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Well done, that looks great, and an achievable project for us mere mortals! I hadn't seen the "towel roof" before. How many buildings do you think you'll need for a whole town?
    Scott is one of my regular playing partners, and his terrain making skills are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and you're right...it is achievable for us normal humans hahaha :).
    We reckon around 4-5 buildings should be enough for Ronin being a skirmish game. We're also using a 4x4 table. You guys are lucky to have Scott. I'd love to pick his brains on making terrain. Am also thinking of doing a Japanese cemetery ala his EotD one, which btw is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work dude- that looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you are into Japanese terrain at the moment, check this out => http://www.plastcraftgames.com/en/59-fukei-designed-for-kensei

    ReplyDelete