Saturday, March 5, 2011

Honor Guards Perseus

First off, I didn’t want to paint my HGs all gold as in the codex. I felt that the gold scheme was more GW trying to show them as Dante’s personal HGs hence them being all gold. And I personally do not like the all gold look ie sanguinary guards.

So for my AG I decided to use the normal chapter colors but maintained the gold helm to indicate them as being HG. Unfortunately the codex shows BA vanguard vets as having gold helms. Guess I’ll have to change mine for another hue when I get to painting them.

In the meantime here are my HGs. I only painted 4 because I decided to paint the apothecary in all white armor similar to my Sanguinary priests. Am going to have 2 priests in my list so they’ll be painted together with the apothecary later.

Some WIP pics.

All were basecoated with astronomican grey using, no surprise, my airbrush.

Then airbrushed gore red for one halve. The rest was hand painted.

The helms were airbrushed shining gold and this really brings out the gold color. 3 thin and smooth layers.Airbrushing really saves time and produces a clean neat finish. Perfect for someone like me whose only goal is tabletop presentable presence .

This was my first real taste of multi choice weapons unit so was quite confused at how to make them WYSIWYG. Thanks to Alvin for teaching me and getting me sorted out.

Next up, Lexicanum Achilles.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done bro. Everyone makes painting look so easy. I'm waiting for my paints to arrive then it's go go go for me. Hope I get the desired results with mine. Cheers and hobby on bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice scheme dude- they look fantastic! Did you do anything else to the gold, like a sepia pin wash or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking good, dude..I'd suggest a wash of Gryphonne Sephia or Ogryn Flesh on the gold areas..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys :)

    I did use some sephia n black washes but they turned up all matt after drying up. Is that normal?

    I ended up having to repaint n higlight certain areas to get the shine up back.

    Am really enjoying painting my angels at the moment. Hopefully i'll get the 1750 list painted up for spore.

    ReplyDelete